Thursday, November 19, 2009

Poor Mr. Dashing

It seems I gave my cold to Mr. Dashing! What a poor excuse for a thank you after the wonderful care he gave me during my convalescence. I tried to take very good care of him too but it was difficult. Just getting him to stay in bed was a tussle. He had so many projects he wanted to attend to and it took all my powers of reasoning and persuasion to convince him at long last that a few days of bed rest was better than day after day of dragging through his tasks.

I made him lovely breakfasts, if I do say so myself, and a pot roast and even an apple pie. Cold weather always makes me want to bake and make stews. I didn't get to much else, but his good health is worth some untidiness. This weekend, however, I hope that we will both be well and I at last can catch up on some chores. My dresser top has ribbon and gloves and a good number of dried roses scattered about amongst an assortment of jewelry pieces. It may sound picturesque put that way but I assure you it is a mess and I'm afraid I will misplace something any day in the jumble.

I also must straighten up my crafting supplies. I need to finish a baptismal gift for a friend's first born daughter. I am working with the first verse of a children's song/prayer which I love. It reads:

Jesus, tender Shepherd, hear me;
Bless Thy little lamb tonight;
Through the darkness be Thou near me;
Watch my sleep till morning light.

I came upon it whilst reading a series from the late 1800's entitled "The Little Colonel" by Annie Fellows Johnston. It's a lovely old-fashioned series for girls and I'm in the midst of collecting every yellowed volume. (I must warn it does involve the racial stereotyping endemic to the era but we must not let our vision of the past become too rosy.) The words to the poem were penned by Mary L. Duncan in 1839. I like it ever so much more than the rather sinister sounding "Now I lay me down to sleep." I printed it up on some lovely vellum (I do so love vellum!) but now I must pin down which of the ideas that I have for decorating it will be just enough. I have a habit of liking so many pretty things that I sometimes overwhelm my creations!

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and I'm glad I did!
    Come visit me, there's a lovely Christmas Giveaway for all my readers!
    Greetings from Italy,
    Federica.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your kind comment :)

    ReplyDelete